On September 28 2015, 60 Minutes (Channel 9) hosted an incredible fundraising event for the Foundation. Held at the Hilton Hotel in Sydney, more than 300 people joined us and raised over $250,000.
Thanks to the extraordinary generosity of guests, the Foundation's efforts to find, fund and mentor inspiring young women has received an incredible boost. Our sincere thanks to everyone who helped ensure the event was such a success. We were overwhelmed by the generosity of so many people contributing to our cause.
60 Minutes Journalist Liz Hayes and Producer Steve Burling created sensitive and moving interviews in which Paul Smith, Angus Dawson and Sandy Dawson shared their memories of Katrina, while also letting everyone know about the good work the Foundation will be doing in Katrina’s name and memory. These interviews are extracted below.
From the bottom of our hearts we thank 60 Minutes Executive Producer Tom Malone for choosing to support The Katrina Dawson Foundation for the second 60 Minutes fundraising event, as well as Digital Brand Producer (and Event Planner extraordinaire!) Toula Udowenko for organising absolutely everything for this event, and pulling it off so beautifully.
Special thanks must go to those many people and organisations whose contribution and efforts made It such a special night:
• for generously providing catering on the night - Luke Mangan.
• for amazing auction prizes - Qantas, the Packer Family Foundation and Crown Resorts Foundation, Channel 9, Sydney Cricket Ground and Cricket Australia, NRL and The Footy Show, Live Nation and Frontier Touring/The Mushroom Group.
• for doing such a wonderful job running the auction and encouraging everyone to dig deep - Tim Gilbert.
• for providing raffle prizes - Scenic Luxury Cruises and Tours, Sony Music, Rocks Brewing Company, MAC, Nine Live, Toni & Guy, The Australian Women’s Weekly and The Sapphire Group.
• for providing such beautiful entertainment - the Australian Girls’/Qantas Choir and Alana Conway, and the instrumental trio from The Women’s College (within The University of Sydney)
• for their energy, warmth and enthusiasm in setting up and helping on the night – the wonderful volunteers.